Monday, January 3, 2011

Neither rain or snow keeps the entertainment away

On Sunday December 26 I received a call from a potential customer who was looking for a clown to entertain at a children's party in lower Manhattan because her entertainment had just cancelled.  There was a blizzard outside  Reluctantly, I agreed to do the party. I decide to leave my rabbit at home just in case I got stuck and had to take public transportation.

Driving there was tricky enough. It was hard to see,  and the snow was piling up. However, there was less traffic then usual due to the harsh weather conditions. I got there in an hour and did the party. The customer was grateful and happy to see me there.

Driving home was the hard party. The snow was coming down harder and piling up. I drove from lower Manhattan to the Williamsburg Bridge to the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. The BQE became more and more slippery as I continued driving. Something told me to get off at Queens Boulevard instead of taking the BQE to the Grand Central Parkway so I did. When I was not even a mile along on Queens Boulevard the battery light and brake light lit up my dashboard. I decided it would be smart to pull over so I pulled onto the side streets of Queens Boulevard and parked. My blinkers were no longer working at this point.

From there I walked about 4 long blocks to the subway. My head was covered in ice by the time I made it to the subway. Once I got out of the subway I could only hope the buses were still running. There was a bit of a wait and a long line of people but luckily the bus did appear. A woman let me stay with her under her umbrella as we waited for the bus.

The bus took a long time because there were a lot of stuck cars along the way. I was glad that I had parked my car because otherwise my car might have been one of those cars stuck on the streets as the blizzard continued to pile snow on the streets of the city. When I got off the bus the harsh winds and ice made it feel like I was being attacked by sharp needles on the way home.       

No comments:

Post a Comment