Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New York Goofs Clown School - children's entertainment

For the last week in July 2010  I attended New York Goofs Clown School. The entire school ran for two weeks but all I could fit into my schedule was one week. Classes were held every day from 10 AM to 6 PM.

There were about ten of us attending the school. Among the students there were actors and actresses, school teachers,and a court clerk. One student, a former teacher who had been injured in a car accident and so was now looking for a new career came all the way from Canada to study the art of clowning.

The classes took place in the auditorium of the Flea Theatre which was close to Chinatown.  That first week we studied improv, clown dance, clown make-up, clown skits used in the circus,  and the history of clowning. There was one instructor who taught us how to balance a stick on the palm of our hand and then our foot and  finally our chin. Another instructor taught us how to throw and catch a hat on our head (okay I didn't have much success catching a hat on my head).

I am sorry I missed  the second week which inclused a class on pie throwing. However, for the week I was there clown school was a lot of fun and I hope to be back for that second week in 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment