Friday, December 17, 2010

The rabbit who acted like a puppy

For nearly five years I had a brown dwarf rabbit named Honeybunny. Honeybunny was a male rabbit born on a farm in upstate New York. I bought Honeybunny because he had such a calm disposition. I thought he would be perfect for taking along to kids' parties and using him in a magic trick designed for rabbits,

Some rabbits don't like people but not Honeybunny. When I took him to kids. parties whenever someone petted him he  licked my hand like a little puppy. If the kids placed their hand in front of him he usually started licking their hand too. I remember him one time reaching up to lick a kid on his nose.

Honeybunny didn't like other animals though, One time I adopted  a cat,. Whenever the cat went near his cage Honeybunny's long ears would tilt forward and the cat would back away. Since Honeybunny didn't like the cat I gave the cat away to an assistant of mine within a few weeks of the adoption . Also  Honeybunny was scared of guinea pigs. When I showed him a guinea pig in a cage a couple of times at parties Honeybunny started shaking.  

When I found out Honeybunny needed surgery to remove stones in his bladder I still brought him to parties but stopped using him in magic tricks. From that point on (even after his surgery) I just let the children pet him and everyone was happy with that..

No comments:

Post a Comment